A revisit to Nepal’s developments in 2017, which is 2074 as per the Nepali calendar
It’s no doubt that Nepal is one of the most happening countries in the recent times as evident in the country’s developments over the period, especially in 2017 (2074 as per Nepali calendar).
Be it in terms of political transformation, participation at global-level events, victories at international-level competitions, 2017 has really been a game changer year for Nepal.
Now, let’s take a closer look at Nepal’s developments and major happenings in 2074 that contributed to the country’s overall progress:
Politics is one area that Nepal has received a major global traction from in the year 2074.
The country saw its long-awaited political transformation during the year through key local body and provincial and parliamentary elections.
The three-tier local body elections on May 14, June 28 and September 19 and the two-phase most important general elections for provincial and parliamentary seats on November 26 and December 7 brought in various landmark changes in the country’s political scenario.
Local body polls, considered as a first step towards long-awaited political change, was the first such election held in Nepal in the last 20 years. This election witnessed an active participation from all sections of Nepali society including women, youth and elderly, registering a record voter turnout and getting a due response for Nepal from the world governments.
Then, the provincial and parliamentary elections held in two phases really shook the country’s political landscape shifting the power from the then ruling Nepali Congress into the hands of the Communist Alliance (CPM and CPN-UML).
While the first phase of the election was held across 37 constituencies of the House of Representatives and 74 provincial assembly constituencies, the second phase covered a total of 45 districts of the Terai and hill areas for electing a total of 128 seats for the House of Representatives and 256 provincial assembly seats.
Finally, Nepal now has the Communist government led by the Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli.
Oli is Back Again As 41st Nepal PM
Local Polls 2017: An All-round Applause for Nepal
Nepal General Elections 2017: Successful Participation of Citizens, Parties and Voters Observed
Bilateral ties is one key aspect that matters a lot for any country when it comes to dealing with external relations.
Nepal has made many major moves in this regard in 2017, which strengthened the country’s global position in terms of diplomatic ties.
With regard to fresh establishment, Nepal signed diplomatic ties with the State of Eritrea, Uzbekistan, Benin, Uganda, Bahamas, among other countries.
Besides, the country has also gone a step forward in taking ahead the ties with its existing partners.
In 2017, Nepal celebrated decades of its friendship with many countries like US, India, Sri Lanka, among others. Some of the major developments in this regard include:
- Nepal and India celebrated 70 years of friendship in 2017 amid grand celebrations at the Indian Cultural Centre, Embassy of India in Kathmandu on February 10, 2018…Read More
- Nepal and US also completed 70 years of their friendship on December 13, 2017, pledging for strong economic cooperation and enhancement of trade cooperation between the two countries…Read More
- Nepal has also completed 60 years of its friendship with Sri Lanka on December 19, 2017, wherein, both the countries increased collaboration across regional and multilateral platforms…Read More
- The Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FNCCI) and the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber (AFEC) have also signed a MoU on October 31, 2017 for increased trade and business cooperation between the two nations…Read More
- Nepal and Brazil have also formed the six-member Brazil-Nepal Parliamentary Group on November 29, 2017 for enhancing the diplomatic ties between the two countries…Read More
- The Government of Nepal has also signed an agreement for the formation of a bilateral consultation mechanism with the Government of Morocco…Read More
- Nepal and Pakistan have also discussed strong SAARC and regional cooperation on March 05, 2018…Read More
- Nepal and Zambia have also discussed cooperation for investment in various sectors in a meeting held on February 09, 2018…Read More
Overall, 2074 has been a successful year for Nepal with regard to strengthening its global position through external relations.
Nepali economy saw a positive trend in 2074 as evident in the World Economic Forum (WEF)’s assessment report that called Nepal as the third fastest-growing economy in the world.
By economic growth projection of 7.5 percent, Nepal ranked third after Ethiopia (8.3 percent) and Uzbekistan (7.6 percent) for the year.
In its another report- Inclusive Development Index (IDI) 2018 in South Asia, WEF positioned Nepal at the top of the list of South Asian countries in terms of inclusive development. Globally, Nepal stood at the 22nd position among 74 countries in the survey that analyzed 103 economies by growth and development, inclusion, and inter-generational equity.
With a 4.15 score, Nepal was also featured between slowly-advancing and rapidly-advancing nations in the emerging economies category.
With hope on increasing revenues, the Government of Nepal also has big budget plans for the
FY 2018-19, i.e. at around Rs 1,570 billion.
The Ministry of Revenue, Nepal expects a 30 percent rise in revenue collection in the FY 2018-19 at around Rs 950 billion, which is Rs 220 billion above the current fiscal target. The government is also planning to boost revenue generation through domestic debt to Rs 153 billion.
Besides, the government is also expecting an additional Rs 286 billion in foreign investment.
Entertainment is another interest aspect that brought global attention to Nepal in 2074.
In 2074, Nepali movies performed well at the global-level film festivals and the country has also hosted many film festival events. Some of the related major happenings that drew wide public attention include:
2074 majorly saw Nepali Director Deepak Rauniyar being featured as one among ‘The 9 New Directors You Need to Watch’ for his films- Highway and White Sun.
Nepal has always been active in sports and is also unique for Dandi Biyo, the country’s traditional sport and national sport until 2017, a significant period for Nepali sports.
It was in 2017 that the then Government of Nepal took a historic decision of officially declaring Volleyball as Nepal’s national sport replacing the traditional Dandi Biyo.
Though the discussions over volleyball as national sport began long back, the official declaration was made on May 23, 2017.
A major milestone for Nepali sports in 2017 was seen in the form of cricket, wherein, the Nepali teams proved their dashing performance at various international-level cricket tournaments.
Nepali cricket teams (U-19, U-16 and national cricket team) left their special mark at various international-level cricket tournaments.
Some of the key international-level sports events where Nepal made its mark include:
Nepal also entered into the world of T20 cricket in 2017. The country organized its first-ever Twenty20 cricket premier league called Everest Premier League (EPL) at the Tribhuvan University (TU) Stadium.
Continuing the success track, Nepali cricket crossed more key milestones in the start of 2018:
Overall, 2074 (2017) was a successful year for Nepal. Let’s hope for more bigger events in 2075.
As in every year, Nepal celebrated its annual cultural festivals on a grand scale in 2074 as well, in fact, on a bigger scale.
Nepal’s biggest festival season including festivals such as Dashain, Tihar and Chhath stood as the cultural highlight of the year among other unique Nepali festivals like Kanya Puja– The Festival of Young Girls, Gaijatra– The Festival of Cows, Indra Jatra– The Street Festival.
Other major culture-related highlights of Nepal that made headlines in in 2074 include:
- Nepal got its new living goddess
- Nepal Academy, a national center for promotion of Nepali language, literature, culture and philosophy,held its 32nd Academic Assembly to formulate policies and regulations for the effective functioning of the organization for promotion of Nepali language and culture
- A group of 36 Nepalis embarked on a two-week-long journey touring India and Nepal towards promoting Indo-Nepal cultural tourism
- Nepal Music Festival – An event to promote Nepali music and culture
Besides, the Government of Nepal has also discussed strengthening of cultural exchanges and ties with foreign nations during various bilateral meetings during the year.
Nepal has a special place for tourism as evident in the country’s status as one of the most-sought global tourism destinations.
Some of the key highlights pertaining to Nepali tourism in 2074 include:
- The Nepali Embassy in Sri Lanka organized Nepal Night, a tourism promotion program called ‘Nepal Night’ in Colombo on December 15, 2017 to promote Nepal tourism
- A week-long tourism promotion activity by the Nepal Sales Mission to Colombo (Sri Lanka) and Bangalore (India) during December 14-21, 2017
- World Travel Market (WTM) 2017, global tourism expo held at ExCel London, a London-based exhibition and international convention center, called Nepal as an ‘Exotic Holiday Gateway’
- 7-month long Annapurna Sanctuary Tourism Festival 2074 has been launched on October 11, 2017 with a total planned investment of Rs 15 million
- Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) laid special focus on domestic tourism as part of the country’s tourism season in 2017 (October-November)
- Religious tourism at Pashupati reported a rise during the 2003-17 period
- Nepal Tourism reached nearly 1 million tourist arrival target with 940,218 arrivals at the end of December 2017
Overall, tourism sector saw an upward trend in the current year and is hoping big for the future.
Events & Conferences
Nepal hosted and participated in a good number of international and national level events and conferences that brought a wide global attention to the country in 2074. Some of them include:
As a country with more number of expatriate population, Nepal holds high significance for immigration sector.
Here are some of Nepal’s major immigration updates in 2074:
- In a move supporting Nepali migrants in Jordan, the Governments of Nepal and Jordan agreed to form a joint technical committee to implement the Bilateral Labor Agreement (BLA), the pact that ensures protection Nepali migrant labor in Jordan
- Towards addressing health concerns of migrants, the Nepali Ministry of Health, UN Migration Agency and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) discussed implementation of the National Migration Health Policy (NMHP) in October 2017
- US Government invited applications for the United States’ 2019 electronic Diversity Visa (DV) program from Nepali immigrants in October 2017
- The Government of Nepal, on September 11, 2017, decided to issue native passports to the Nepali children born in foreign nations
- United Nations’ first-ever study of a 10-year trend in migration and remittance flows over the 2007-2016 period named Nepal named as the top remittance-dependent nation; Remittances make up 32 percent of GDP
- Nepalese travelling to Japan for employment on rise, form the largest South Asian and the sixth largest foreign populace living in Japan
- Nepalese form the fastest growing community in Australia with an annual growth of around 27 percent
- Nepali Labor Ministry pitches for skill development among migrants at the 331st governing board meeting of ILO in Geneva, in November 2017
- Nepal and Bahrain discussed labor cooperation at a bilateral meeting in Bahraini capital, Manama in December 2017
Besides, there is an increasing trend of more number of Nepali youth preferring foreign destinations for career opportunities. On the other hand, the Government of Nepal is also under plans to generate more opportunities, locally.
In the fast-growing digital world, technology is one key aspect for the development of any society.
Nepal is also majorly catching up this trend as evident in some of technology-driven initiatives in the country in 2074, which include:
- To ensure next-generation air traffic control at the airports, the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN) introduced an advanced radar system at Bhatte Danda of Lalitpur district to monitor Nepal’s Air Traffic Control (ATC)
- Digital Nepal: Nepal Goes Digital in TV Broadcasting
- A group of Nepali engineers introduced the country’s first-of-its-kind smart wheelchair to help physically challenged
- Nepal’s first electronic Intensive Care Unit (e-ICU) facility was inaugurated at the Vayodha Hospital
- Reputed banks express their willingness to play a vital role in revolutionizing Nepali eCommerce sector through new technology-driven digital platforms
- Nepal’s first IT Park in Banepa resurges after years of inactivity
- Ministry of Health announces technology-driven health apps, mHealth and eHealth, services to the public
- Nepal gets STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) laboratory in Kanjirowa National Secondary School at Koteshwor
Besides, these Nepal has been welcoming many technology giants and has also gone to a far extent in internet and mobile adoption, thus turning as a fast-emerging market for technology adoption.
The End Note
Overall, 2074 has really been a year of transformation for Nepal in all the aforementioned aspects adding to the country’s future progress. Hope the country would reach much greater heights in the years to come!
Nepal 2017 Highlights: Politics and Bilateral Relations
Nepal 2017 Highlights: Culture And Tourism Highlights
Nepal 2017 Highlights: Immigration and Other Major Updates
Nepal 2017 Highlights: Hydropower Potential Grows Three-fold with 16 New Projects